New features, a host of exciting Spiders, and more highlight the latest update to the Spider-Man mobile game!
It’s tough to tell what’s real when Mysterio’s around, but players of “Spider-Man Unlimited” must now deal with the very legitimate threat posed by the master of illusion!
Fortunately, an eclectic array of alternate universe Spiders make up the cavalry to take on the Sinister Six in full force!
Gameloft’s Tatiana Nahai provided us with more details!
Marvel.com: Why save Mysterio for last among the Sinister Six? What’s cool about him and what does he bring to the game?
Tatiana Nahai: Everyone was expecting Doc Ock to be the final Sinister Six member, being their creator and all, but for us Mysterio was absolutely the perfect choice. Not only was Mysterio one of the core members of the Sinister Six, but he’s the only villain to be in both the Marvel and Ultimate Universes. It was his device that allowed that famous meeting of Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man in the first place, so narratively it made perfect sense that it was Mysterio’s technology that allowed the Sinister Six to go from a worldwide threat to a dimensional nightmare. And of course, with his psychotic ambition, Mysterio has this endless need to top himself, which is a picture-perfect match for a story that has multiple dimensional versions of each character.
Mysterio’s showmanship and mystical illusions also make him the most visually stunning villain we’ve released yet. In the game, Mysterio will capture the Spider-Men in his Dream World environment, where you see floating roads, twisted buildings, flying cars, illusionary mirrors, flying fists, iconic purple and green mist, and of course, the showman himself: a giant Mysterio controlling it all! It’s a very trippy experience, but also an insanely fun one, as you take down mini-Mysterio clones to escape the illusion and go back to reality. And of course Mysterio’s personality is the most eccentric and insane yet as he treats everything as a grand performance.
Marvel.com: Which Spiders will be available during this update? How were they selected?
Tatiana Nahai: The theme of this update was alternate dimension Spider-Men, which makes perfect sense for our dimensionally equipped villain. We have Scarlet Spider (Felicity Hardy), from a dimension where Black Cat and Flash Thompson have a child together; Spider-Goblin, from a dimension where Peter loses his sanity after Gwen Stacy’s death and becomes the thing he hates the most; Mangaverse Spider-Woman, from the dimension where Mary Jane fights crime alongside Mangaverse Spider-Man; and Spiders Man, from the Earth X dimension.
The big thing about this update is that it includes a new rarity of Spider-Men! The 8-star Titans, which go up to level 110, have the highest Spidey Power and the best abilities we’ve released yet. Our titan Spiders will be Scarlet Spider (Felicity Hardy) and Spider-Goblin, and can be earned in their events!
We also have an upcoming Community Vote, where players can vote between 3 Spider-Men to be released in the game! Those characters will be announced later this month.
Marvel.com: What other special features and events do players have to look forward to?
Tatiana Nahai: We have an event-exclusive boss coming up, who will be revealed down the line. But fans of Ultimate Spider-Man will really enjoy this one, as it’s his coming-of-age story, as he takes down the fanatic—hint hint.
For those hardcore gamers, we now have controller support available through Airplay. Finally, we have some huge Spidey Ops improvements, including massive XP rewards!
Here’s a full list of the new features:
• Face-off against Mysterio in Issue 6, the final Sinister Six villain! With 5 comic variants of Mysterio and 25 new mind-bending missions to complete the Sinister Six saga!
• Mysterio’s dream world environment: Can you escape the illusion? Take on the giant Mysterio boss and his mini-clones to get back to reality!
• Titan Spider Rarity: Experience an all-new level of power with a new rarity and abilities! Dominate the leaderboards by obtaining an 8-star rank and reaching a max level of 110!
• 7 new alternate dimension Spideys! Mary Jane arrives as Mangaverse Spider-Woman! Plus, Scarlet Spider (Felicity Hardy), Spiders Man and more!
• Experience Ultimate Spider-Man’s journey! An all-new Multi-day event featuring an event exclusive special boss!
• An upcoming community vote where YOU decide the next Spidey to enter our dimension.
• Spidey Ops improvements: Improved chances of success, increased XP rewards, and the ability to play with Spiders who are currently on Ops missions!
• Full controller support for Mfi controllers.
Play “Spider-Man Unlimited” now!